Friday, September 28, 2007

Week 12 Report & more Neopian Fables

We are one third of our way through 2nd quarter! We'll be taking next week off school -- Ginger (12) has eye surgery on Tuesday. In fact, I have decided to take the entire week off the internet. That way I'll be focused on being mom and nurse. I do plan to dedicate some time moving all my "stuff" from my old eMac to a newer, faster, better Mac...I think it is a G5. So, see you all in a week!

This week we finally mastered the days of the week in Latin! We all made flash cards. Ginger's are first with elves on every card, then mine, then Tullius's, then Momo's in pink -- written both in Dragon and in Latin.


And we studied the Ancient Maya people. They believed the world was flat with a giant tree growing in the middle. The root of the tree went into the underworld. Four jaguars in the four courners of the earth held up the sky. Ginger had fun creating this representation of their "compass." The white jaguar is in the north corner.


Our last week of re-writing Aesop's Neopian Fables! I tried to convice the kids they could use a different theme, but no...Neopia it is!
The Skree and the Bracelet, by Ginger (12)


The Lupe and the Miamouse, by Momo (10)


The Fighting Whoots and the Horus, by Tullius (7)


A few other notes for the record: Ginger finished Book 1 of Key to Decimals! She'll do Books 2 & 3 in the next 6 school weeks, Book 4 in January and then the Key to Percents series. We did not get to the cool leaf project I had planned from Masterpiece Art Instruction. Maybe tomorrow!

Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful week! Let the countdown to NaNoWriMo begin!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great fables! I love the illustrations too. I wish Ginger well on her surgery next week. I'll miss "seeing" you on the boards though.
Another Mac user -- cool! I love my IMac. I am wanting a second one (maybe a laptop) to put in the bedroom so I can work in a more quiet place than the family room.
Take good care of your patient next week. I'll be thinking about you all!
Melissa

Cyndi said...

Oh, good for you for taking time off to be mom and "nurse." I just said a little prayer for the patient, I really hope all goes well.

Great pictures of your work! It looks like school is going great!

See you in a week. :)

Jennefer said...

Lee,

I'll be praying for Ginger's surgery and the recovery as well. Enjoy a week off-line. I will be eagerly awaiting you return! Take care friend.

Jennefer

Anonymous said...

Hope all goes well with the surgery. I love the compass Ginger made this week. Have fun with your new computer, hope to see you again in a week.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your week...I do pray that Ginger is healing well.

Tina in WA said...

What a neat compass!

Hope DD has a quick recovery and praying for her.

~Tina

Jessica said...

I love the Mayan project, a great way to illustrate! We might borrow that idea. I hope everything is going better this week. (((Lee)))

Love
Jessica

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.