Thursday, September 6, 2007

Top 10: Nature Journal Excuses Edition

Recently, I was mistaken for a nature journal girl! Doesn't that have a nice ring to it? Someday maybe it will even be true!

Afterall, I own such books as by Clare Walker Leslie's Keeping a Nature Journal, Karen Andreola's Pocketful of Pinecones, and Robert Louv's Last Child in the Woods. I've even read them. And my own sister is the Land Steward at a nature center in Iowa! Obviously, between my books and family relations, I should have notebooks full...

But instead of an inspiring photo of a page in my nature journal, I give you my Top 10 reasons why I haven't done "Nature Study."

10. With photo stories like The Robin's Nest who needs to go outside anyway?
9. I don't live near any cool nature places, just hot-desert-scorpion types.
8. Paper taken outside gets crumply, windblown, dirty, bugs land on it, etc.
7. I never know what to draw, there are just too many choices.
6. I can't draw things from life anyway, especially moving things.
5. Many of those moving choices are bugs...
4. I never know what things are called...in English or Latin.
3. I don't enjoy trailing 5 children on a nature journal hike anymore than I enjoy taking them all to the library (now that could be a post in itself).
2. I don't have a sketchbook of my own.
1. It is too HOT to be outside.

Fortunately, reason #1 will be removed within 2 months or so. And surely by then I'll have bought a sketchbook and #2 will be gone also. Perhaps I'll be able to whittle away at the rest as well...

12 comments:

Jessica said...

I don't know anyone who COULD fake it better than you! Lol. psst, I'm not a nature girl either- we tried. Danny is naturally interested at 3 but for the most part, I can't "enjoy" myself at these young ages, I'm okay to plant a few zinnias so the butterflies and hummingbirds come to us!

I love the idea of nature study, I love to walk with the kids. BUT I only have so many brain cells and energy to put towards being a fun, creative mom and this is one area I'm okay about lacking in!

If you need help with science ideas- I'm here! Maybe I can help or make it worse- either way, I'm here for ya!

:) Jessica

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL! Yes it is too HOT to be outdoors...goodness, I have central air why waste it by going out there? ; ) No, we do go for nature walks once every month or two. Trust me, my boys find plenty of creepy crawlies on their own without me making a 'time' for it.

Now, I am glad the envelopes got you thinking! Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Summertime said...

Thanks for posting a link to The Robin's Nest. How fun! We loved checking it out.

Jennefer said...

Oh how funny! You may not think yourself much of a "nature journal girl" but you have inspired me to do more in this area for sure. Thanks so much for all your ideas and support. You are wonderful! :)

Blessings,
Jennefer

Betsy said...

I enjoyed your post. We are actually getting very interested in nature studies this year, and I am finding that I really like to draw and I am not half bad!

Barb said...

Just a hint....it doesn't always have to have a nature journal entry at the end to enjoy a good walk outdoors.

Get a good field guide to your area and teach your children to use and they will lead your study of things outside.

It isn't meant to be artistic either....just a record of what your children think are important and interesting.

Throw out your unrealistic ideas of nature study and just enjoy the outdoors when it is cool enough....can you go first thing in the morning instead of afternoons? Even a twenty minute walk is enough to satisfy the need to be close to creation. Look at the sky, listen to the bugs hum, follow an ant trail, pick up a stick.....it is all fresh and new to your children.

Sorry to hijack your post. I think you are not giving youself enough credit. :)

Barb
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/harmonyartmom

Karen said...

You are awesome. I don't think I'd be outside unless the weather was as wonderful as we have had this summer. I love Nature Studies, but don't keep a nature journal. Its got to count for something. :-) What I do is plant a wild garden that is a riot of color (and comes back every year wilder than the year before), get a big comfy swing under a shady tree and take the kids outside. We have spent most of our summer like that. We also hike and such, but just because I love to walk in the woods and out here they call it a sport, and I get to call it school. I really do need to learn to draw at some point in my life then I will keep a journal.

Lisa~ said...

Nature journal smacher journal! I love your new look!!!!!

Ok... now I will go read the actual post! lol

Lisawa~

Anonymous said...

Blog looks nice! :)

Tina in WA said...

I Love the new look!

I want a 3 column blog too!!!! :o(

~Tina

Anonymous said...

Let me help you with # 4. They are called field guides. They already did the Latin work for you. lol

That should help you with #6, too!

And #7? You only need one... so just pick one.

Looks like you're ready to go. But oh wait, I can't help you with #3!

Lisa~ said...

ok.... this is why I thought i posted about the new your new look! I did!

Oh... I think its already been a long week! lol

Love ya~

Lisa

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.