Monday, September 3, 2007

Mathmagical Monday: Make 10!

First a funny from my 10 yo, Momo--

Math-U-See Zeta, Lesson 7:
Casey had a piece of string one meter long. Because she was very bored, she cut it into 1,000 pieces. If the pieces were of equal length, how long was each piece?

Momo's answer? Very small and then she had to vacuum.

Pyramid or Make Ten
This is a simple (despite the length it took me to explain) and fun math card game that we've been playing for years. It helps children learn to "make 10" which is a useful skill when adding.

Using a regular card deck, take out the face cards and jokers.

Lay out a pyramid shape with the cards face down. One card at the top, two on the next row, slightly overlapping the first on the bottom corners. Repeat this until you have five cards face down at the bottom of your pyramid. Finally, lay a sixth row, face up.

Can you make any tens? If your child is just learning their addition math facts, it is helpful to have a little chart with 1+9, 2+8, etc on it for reference. Oh, 10s count as ten too. Remove any 10s and any pairs that make ten. Put them aside in a discard pile.

Now turn over any face down cards that have both lower corners empty (no cards on the row below covering them). Can you make any tens? If yes, set those cards aside in the discard pile. Check the next face up card in your hand. Also, turn over any card that has been uncovered in your pyramid.

Once you can't make anymore tens, turn over another set of three from your draw pile. Once you've gone through your draw pile, you can do it again, turning over three cards each time. At the very end we go through it one card at a time.

The game ends when you can no longer make ten. You actually "win" if you no cards left in the pyramid.

We would've played this today, in Latin, but I can't find a deck of regular cards! Yesterday we played Uno (Unus!) and Phase 10 -- in Latin, of course. It naturally led to talking about color words...but that is a post for another day!

10 comments:

Sea Star said...

This looks like a game that will be useful for Sophie. Maybe if I can find a regular deck of cards we will play. Maybe Rook cards will work.

Thanks for the Mathmagical Monday!

Kerri said...

Great card game. I am going to give this a try!

Thanks,
Kerri

Anonymous said...

I love Momo's answer!

The card game sounds great too!

Anonymous said...

Oh lol! Great answer Momo! Lee, your artwork is amazing...

Lisa~ said...

Yes! I love that answer! *Ü* lol

Love your Math Monday!

Lisawa~

Anonymous said...

Hey there...the weekly folder is going VERY well. I love it!

Your memory work in the center is a great idea. :) I tell ya having a support system such as the great blogs I've been visting is such a benefit. It's amazing what comes from putting our heads together.

Petunia said...

I LOLed a lot at Momo's quick-witted answer. Thanks for the laugh.

And the card game sounds like a lot of fun. My MonkeyBoy might have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for explaining this tens game! I am trying to help my youngest to remember her 10 facts. It is also interesting enough that my older girls will want to play! I love teaching them games they can play independently!

Sea Star said...

We played the pyramid game and Sophie really loved it. She does need some math work but I can see that it was helping her remember the facts better. I am sure we will play it again.

Tammy said...

Your post of this game came at the perfect time! I've been looking for ways to learn the "make 10" facts, other than drill sheets...which my 7yo dd rolls her eyes at. She loves this game! Thanks for sharing.

I'm linking to this post on my blog.

~Tammy

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.