Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sir Douglas Mawson, Antarctic Explorer

A while back we learned about Antarctica as part of our "Expeditions" study with Konos. I read the book After the Last Dog Died : the true-life, hair-raising adventure of Douglas Mawson and his 1911-1914 Antarctic Expedition by Carmen Bredeson.

I was so moved by the courage of Mawson and his men, that I decided to do my own report at our Konos co-op. Normally, the kids did presentations of something they'd learned and then the moms led group activities. But I just had to share what I'd learned!

So, I drew this sketch and packed a shoebox with the sledge rations allotted to each man. My voice got a little thick while reading my report to the kids. And when I got the part about the soles of his feet peeling off, I had tears running down my face. I get choked up looking even looking at his portrait.

Why post this now (and it is even already on my defunct Stonewall Academy blog)? Well, I just saw the picture in one of Ginger's sketchbooks. My two bird pictures are in another of her sketchooks. I've got to get my own!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Lee, his eyes are so expressive! What a beautiful talent God has given you. I hope to develop drawing skills when we use Drawing with Children next year, your sketches are so inspiring.

I created some graphics for doing a weekly report, I just wanted to let you know. Feel free to use them if you want, I've got all the Weekly Reporters listed at my blog that I know of.

The "I am a Weekly Reporter" button is at
Weekly Report Button

I also created a moving gif file for each Weekly Report post that I will be using for each Weekly Report. Feel free to use it as well.
Weekly Banner

These are stored at my free photobucket account and they will not be deleted so feel free to link to it or download/upload it yourself in your own image storage.

If you know of someone that is doing weekly reports that isn't on the list I have, let me know so I can add them. We learn so much from visiting others, it's like having a weekly open house!

A former graphic designer who just can't help herself at times,
: ) Jessica

Lisa~ said...

Love it Lee.... You really are talented....

You are in a Konos co-op and you have TOG! oh my head is spinning... I’m feeling faint...

*Ü* jk...

thats a lot of work... or is it?

Lisawa~

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.