Friday, August 31, 2007

Week 8/9 Report



D~O~N~E! The day is done, the week is done, the month is done and the 1st quarter of the school year is done! Ah, and tomorrow is a new day.

I had a hard time remembering what exactly we did this week. Monday seems looooong ago. Actually, this week we tried something different with our schedule. I set a time for the two subjects that all the kids do together: Latin (8am) and Science (9am). This eliminated *some* of the "I finished all my independent work. Can we do ... NOW?"

The biggest success of the week (that would be besides finishing it) would be counting in Latin. We started on Monday and it didn't go Optime. But instead of saying "Bah! Forget that!" as I am so oft to do when one or more children whine/don't get it on day one or two, I persevered. Yes, I am proud to say we counted in Latin every day this week! And finally today, we actually had fun. I guess it is true that we typically enjoy what we can do well. Even Beanie got to join in today. We did a sort of ring-around-the-rosie while counting "Unus-duo-tres" while going one way then switched to the other with the next 3 digits, then back and on "decem" we all fell down.

As for staying on schedule, Ginger finished the entire four book "Key to Fractions" series today. She did well and it wasn't too painful. I have already purchased "Key to Decimals" and she'll start that after the break.

As for not staying on schedule, I'm not done w/ the read aloud Tirzah from TOG. This historical fiction book begins in Ancient Egypt during the plagues, the Israelites cross the Red Sea and are in the desert. We just read the chapter with the golden calf idol. I'm very sorry to say that it is not inspirational reading. The author, while sticking well to the Bible story line, seriously lacks the ability to "show, don't tell." I am not in the least bit inspired and will be glad when the book is over.

Ginger, Momo & Tullius each made several slides in Keynote (Apple's version of PowerPoint) on a different one of the Jewish Holy Days. They turned out really nice. I have to get them off a different computer to post though.

Any other highlights to the week? Besides it being over, I mean? Well, I drew another bird picture. A Gambel's quail. It was fatter & cuter in the book, but at least it is done!

I'm all about being done, apparently. Now, off to see what everyone else accomplished this week!

PS I'm still thinking about a new blog for next quarter. After all, Pheasant Ridge Christian Academy did... :)

11 comments:

Karen said...

Latin counting everyday? That is wonderful. I will have to remember to count in Latin when we start. I am planning to start when we get to Rome. And you are still doing two weeks in one. I am still having trouble doing one week at a time. :-) Great week. Keep it up.

Tina in WA said...

Congratulations on completing your 1st quarter.

I feel so far behind, as we won't start school for 10 more days. I have so much to do and so little time before 10 days are finally up. But I will preserver!

Enjoy your week off!

~Tina

Anonymous said...

Wow, you had a great week! I can't believe your done with your 1st quarter already. :) Way to go...

We wanted to start a good week ago, but life happened (sigh - doesn't it always)...we are getting busy this coming Tuesday.

Curious to see if you will start a whole new blog, or just make this one like new/fresh? It's a bad habit to start, switching blogs, I mean. lol I've been the queen of moving...but was 'called on it' last night by an online friend, and her doing that was actually a good thing. I am resolved to not move again, well, at least not for a few years! lol (just kidding, I am staying put)

Good luck!

Jessica said...

I love your sketches Lee! Do you sell them? You should consider it, especially if you have an arts/crafts festival somewhere near you during the year.

I love it~! You're inspiring others with your Latin. Doesn't that just make your heart sing?

Change your template, please don't delete all your posts or move. Please. Pretty please. You can organize your blog how you'd like it to be.

:) Jessica

Lisa~ said...

Hello my blogger friend.... Congratulations on the week, month and quarter being complete! Yeah~

Love your drawing.... I always look forward to what I might see next! You have such talent…. I agree with Jessica…..

Speaking of drawings…

I found a gem of a book at a used book store this summer called Pocketful of Pinecones, by Karen Andreola….. and have been saving it since late May to read….. Have you read it? I began this morning…. It’s a book about nature journaling and study, but in story format…. Based in the 30s….. and the first section is on Autumn….

I’m hoping you don’t remove your blog…. Just shake it up a bit! again... I’m going to concur with our kindred spirit friend Jessica....

*Ü*

Lisawa

Jennefer said...

Lee,

Congratulations on finishing your first quarter! That's wonderful. You guys are off to such a great start. Looking forward to seeing what the second quarter holds.

Jennefer

PS I am checking in daily to see what you decide about new blog, new template, new format....I can't wait to see what you decide! I hope you find what works for you. There's so much I want to do to my blog - just have to find the time!

Anonymous said...

Wow, a quarter finished already. I feel behind now! and I'm going out of town on Thursday. Oh well, I'll get there. I am going to post about my cello soon. I promise! Just for you. So much to do this week though. Hope your new quarter starts out well. It sounds like you're accomplishing good things here. I love the Ring around the Rosies idea.

Old Dominion Heather said...

Ahhh. Intentional. Must be intentional with my little guy. Are you sure that osmosis won't work?

Barb said...

Hi Lee,

Great drawing...as always. Hope you are having fun!

First quarter done? Does the time fly? We are just starting week 4 and we are getting our stride....loving school this year.

Just wanted to pop in.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Anonymous said...

I felt exactly the same way about Tirzah - except that I was teaching it at co-op! Normally I would use a book that I had already read, but it was on the TOG list, for goodness sake! I guess I expected more. We did have some good discussions about character, motivation, and development.

Kerri said...

Wonderful drawing! I love coming here to see what you have done.

I like your posts. I like reading about what you all are doing.

Thanks,
Kerri

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.