Monday, August 27, 2007

Mathmagical Monday: Count to Ten in Latin


Math is magical to me. Not the "catching fireflies by the river in the moonlight" sort of magical. Rather, the "HOW did he do that" feeling you get when watching a magician perform the same trick again and again and you never see how he does it. I never have understood math...at all.

Still, I'd like for my children to love and appreciate all good things in life, math included. Actually, I'd like to appreciate math!

So here is a little math:

1/5 of my children think math is a horrid invention
2/5 of my children can add, subtract & multiply faster in their heads than I can (they can probably divide faster as well, however this theory can not be tested because I need paper & pencil for division)
2/5 of my children have not shown a positive or negative reaction to the subject

I'd like to continue tipping the scale in favor of math at our house. But I prefer alliteration to addition. I love blogs like La Scuola d’Argento with "Photo Friday" and Sea Star Academy with "Top Ten Tuesday." Therefore, I give you: Mathmagical Monday.

I wanted to take a picture of all the wonderful math related books we have at our house, but I have to gather them up...certain children like to take them and read them and not return them to their proper shelf.

Instead, I give you my Count to 10 in Latin chart. Which I'm not entirely certain is correct...if you know Latin, can you point out any errors? And why isn't there a feminine form of 3? Is it tres? Those colored objects are eggs...one egg -- unum ovum, two eggs - duo ova? The word egg is neuter...which makes sense since you don't know if the chick inside is male or female!

Anyway, this is part of my new attempt to make Latin a living language at our house. I decided we'd start by learning to count to 10. Because of gender, this wasn't as fun & easy as learn as I had expected.

I hope that I will be making Mondays more magical and more mathematical for all my children, and myself, from now on...after all, docendo discitur -- We learn by teaching ~ Seneca.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your alliteration! I need to find more of the magic in math for the boys. I "get" it just like I totally "get" music theory and its mathematical properties (quite fascinating stuff btw), but that excitement is lacking so far in our homeschooling. I need to find more mathmagic and get the boys fired up.
Oh, and I'm glad I was inspiring!

Barb said...

Pop over to my blog....you have received an award from me....:)

Barb=Harmony Art Mom
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/harmonyartmom

Sea Star said...

Sorry I can't help with Latin or Math for that matter. Math is one of those subjects that I haven't figured out exactly how to teach yet. Sophie is very workbook adverse so most math curriculums are out for now. We do tend to read a lot of "Math books" like the Mathstart books by Stuart J. Murphy and such. So far this is all we reallly do for math other than just everyday adding and subtracting when it comes up.

I will keep my eye on your Mathmagical Mondays in hopes of some good ideas.

Lisa~ said...

Very creative! I love your new Mathmagical Monday idea!

Math is definitely not exciting around here.... although a good game of multiplication or division war can get pretty tense! lol

RyLee is on the mend. She slept a lot yesterday and is still asleep today.... but she had a wonderful birthday dinner and her grandma made her a cake. It was a wonderful end to her day.

Lisawa~

Jenny said...

I love math. It's so orderly and logical. I've been know to sit and work out complex algebra problems for fun. ;) Have you seen the Living Math site? I've never done more than glance at it, but I've heard raves.

I love your Latin number chart too. I hope I can remember to be creative when we get there.

Jessica said...

That is fantastic!

I'm even excited seeing that! Great job, I hope the kids are excited too, to see something new.

Here's to keep the scale tipped!
Jessica

Tami, full-time mom; part-time foodie said...

Lee, great idea! I SOOO want a theme day now! I will have to think about that.

I hate math, so I will be checking your blog for inspiration! I wish you could come over and be *our* math teacher.

: )
Tami

wendy said...

When my oldest was in 2nd grade she really thought the word was Mathemagician. She was a disappointed when she was a little older and realized the word is mathematician.

Math is fun!

ps - thanks for stopping by my blog!

Jennefer said...

Love the Mathmagical Monday idea! You've inspired me to be a little (ok, a lot) more creative with Thatcher too. He loves math but throwing some special things in there can only serve to fan the flame that's already burning brightly (and not because Mommy did anything special I am sad to admit!!)

Have a great day,
Jennefer

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.