Saturday, August 25, 2007

Week 7/8 Report

We just finished week 7/8...next week will be 8/9 and then we're done with First Quarter/TOG Unit 1! This was a rather unusual week because Dad was home all week. Not because he was sick, not because we had a family vacation planned, not even because we wanted to do some around the house projects...no, this was to get his World of Warcraft character to level 70. And he's *almost* there, as of the wee hours of Saturday morning (while I'm typing this up).

See kids, what you can do with a little dedication & perseverance? Reach the level cap in an MMORPG! Actually, Ginger, Momo & Tullius all have characters about level 45 themselves. But I digress...

So, between having dh home and Ginger's eye doctor appointment and trying to fit 1.5 weeks worth of learning in, we had less time and more work...but it's all good.

7th grade~Ginger's studied dictation sheet. We go over the sentences on Monday and then she gets to doodle on it the rest of the week. On Friday I dictate it to her. This has been going well, I'm very pleased...much better then copywork ever did!~

5th grade~Momo's diagram of the Hebrew Tabernacle (from TOG). She can write so neat when she wants to!~


2nd grade~A page from Tullius's Lively Latin (I'm using it for all 3 older kids). I'd say he is doing very well with this. I want to make Latin more fun though, more real, more immersion, more like I read about people doing with, say French at Trivium Academy!~

Kindergarten~Zamakee finished THREE of his workbooks this week! Two were from Critical Thinking Press: Visual Perceptual Skill Building PreK-2 and Can You Find Me? PreK-K, the other was a Dover dot-to-dot of cars and trucks. This is his calendar of the Jewish Year from Old Testament Days. Sometimes he likes to color and sometimes he doesn't!~


~Beanie needs more intentional time from me. Twice this week I've read recent blog entries on this very topic: The Magic School House and Livingstone School...hopefully I'll be able to talk about it soon too! Ginger & Momo made Beanie this baby animal matching game from Kidz Club several weeks ago. We got it out again this week & he can do it all by himself! Oh, and I found a schedule that he could actually follow here: Fanning the Flame


And how am I doing this week? Did I learn anything? Yes, I learned I could stay up until 2-3am every night with my dh & still get up a 6am when the boys do! I think I could go back to college! Seriously, I have been doing a lot of thinking about our weeks & our learning...still searching for the richness!

And you? What did you learn this week?

18 comments:

Jessica said...

I recognize those cards! Lol. I hear "you" about this week (*wink*). The kids did their lessons, improving in some areas, that's great!

Psst...IF you'd like to do other things with Latin outside of the curriculum you can:

- Using your vocabulary words make playing cards to play card games with . Limitless opportunities here.

- Get a few children's books in Latin

Cattus Petasatus, by Dr. Seuss, Translated into Latin by Jennifer and Terence Tunberg.
Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc., 2000. ISBN 0-86516-471-1 (hard cover), 0-86516-472-X (paperback). A tour de force; rhyme and meter give this translation the lively appeal of the original. A Latin-to-English glossary and a note on the verse form are included. A sample: "Cur sedetis?" inquit ille, / "Ludos vobis dabo mille! / Cattus, etsi sol non lucet, / Ludos vobis huc adducet!"

Fabula de Petro Cuniculo (Peter Rabbit), by Beatrix Potter, Trans. into Latin by E. Peroto Walker.
Frederick Warne & Co., Ltd., London and New York. (probably out of print)

Ferdinandus Taurus (Ferdinand), by Munro Leaf, Illus. Robert Lawson, Trans. into Latin by Elizabeth Hadas.
Hamish Hamilton, London, 1962.

Mater Anserina: Poems in Latin for Children, with audio CD, by Terence Tunberg and Milena Minkova
Focus Publishing/R. Pullins Co., 2006. ISBN 1585101931 (hard cover). Mother Goose in Latin.

Quomodo Invidiosulus Nomine GRINCHUS Christi Natalem Abrogaverit, a Doctore Seuss, in sermonem Latinum a Guenevera Tunberg (iuvante Terentio Tunberg) conversus.
Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers., Inc., 1998. ISBN 0-86516-419-3 (hardcover); 0-86516-420-7 (paperback). Dr. Seuss' beloved How the Grinch Stole Christmas, translated into elegant and lively Latin by Jennifer Morrish Tunberg, with Terence O. Tunberg.

Tres Ursi (Goldilocks and the Three Bears), Adapted by Hanna Hutchinson, Illus. Edward Nofziger, Trans. into Latin by LeaAnn A. Osburn.
Another Language Press, Cincinnati, 1995. Easy to follow, good for young children.

Virent Ova! Viret Perna!! (Green Eggs and Ham in Latin), by Dr. Seuss, Translatated into Latin by Jennifer and Terence Tunberg.
Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc., 2003. ISBN 0865165556 (hard cover). If you liked Cattus Petastaus, you will love this one.

Winnie Ille Pu (Winnie The Pooh), by A. A. Milne, Trans. into Latin by Alexander Lenard.
E. P. Dutton & Co., 1960, repr. 1961.

Okay enough of the books- see if you can get them through your library and if not, I would pick one for purchase and see how your wolf cubs react. If they LOVE them, you have great Christmas presents selections!

Another thing is on Friday, it's CULTURE day. History, biographies, myths, fables, folklore- read one just on one day. What else can you do for a Roman Culture day?

Hee, hee- I'm giggling here envisioning togas and even armor for Roman solidiers joining together in your living room every Friday!
http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/romans/
http://members.aol.com/Donnclass/Romelife.html
http://www.kathimitchell.com/ancivil.html#Rome:
http://rome.mrdonn.org/

You have enough wolf cubs to put on a small play! You know as we were thinking of having a 3rd child, this DID enter my mind! Lol, what a thought!

Think like a kid, get the kids involved and if you want to do it- I'm sure they will help make it happen. Can you imagine your children excited to dictate a speech in Latin? Doesn't that give you shivers?

There are Latin games out there too:
http://www.bywayofthefamily.com/seriesresults2.cfm?strSeriesCode=LatinExtra
Well, here's my links for Latin
http://ww2.ikeepbookmarks.com/browse.asp?folder=1970094

:) Jessica

Riverfront Headmistress said...

I love the weekly reports. We begin school on Monday and I think I'll try to include weekly reports as well.

I recently blogged about things I learned this week. Although, most of them involved a funny Korean girl, I still learned!

The Mom said...

LOoks good! We will finish up our first unit next week. I will post my pictures tomorrow, we are getting ready for co-op so I had to finish up some co-op stuff. Have a great weekend!

Mom2legomaniacs said...

That looks great! We did not get a lot accomplished this week. But next week will be learning in the field with Yellowstone as our "lab".
Have a good weekend!
melissa

Mom2legomaniacs said...

Oh, and thanks for being my one and only visitor! :o)

melissa

Lisa~ said...

Glad you had a productive week! We are done with our first week! Yes!

On to week 2.....

Lisawa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your week, Lee. I am really enjoying reading everyone's...

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Where did you find the Jewish calendar? I'm looking for a printout of one for use in a few weeks.

My week 1 is up on my blog
Kristiana

Anonymous said...

OK! I'm blind, it's from Old Testament Days which is sitting right here as I speak!
K

Anonymous said...

We just got done with week 2 of TOG year 1.

My oldest dd's goal is to get done with assigned works by Thursday so that she could focus on the TOG activities on Friday. She is already looking forward to the next map work, as I've told her we will be working with cookie dough. Today is not a school day and yet, she chose to make the clay lamp, and another activity.

I'm not sure if her enthusiasm is of the time period we're doing, or a reflection of mom's...

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your homeschool week! This week for me was more routine learnin'~you know~keeping house. NOT my forte, but we're gonna lick it! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Jennefer said...

I love the animal matching cards. I am going to print those this week for my Haddon!

You have done such a great job with your weekly reports. I am already behind and it's only week 4. Lol!

Thanks for sharing so much. I am learning a ton.

Blessings,
Jennefer

Kerri said...

Lee,

Looks like you all got alot done eventhough it was a tough week! Good for you!

It is neat getting to see TOG YR 1 from someone elses perspective. Your kids work looks great!

Kerri
Way Out in the Desert

Tina in WA said...

What fun you all had! I love the kids drawing/coloring. Very talented!

I too love to see others weekly reports. When we start up in Sept.,I will have to do the same thing.

Thanks for sharing your weeks!

~Tina

Margie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! A great milestone when one can get a term behind them. You do an incredible job managing to school 5. I trodge through with only 3.
Looks like you are having fun with Latin. It doesn't matter if the numbers are just right. It looks fun.

Margie said...

Oh, did you get my question about TOG?

Anonymous said...

OK, so tell me...
HOW do you stay up that late and get up so early? I am finding myself a total zombie in the AM. I want your secret! :+)

Warmly,
Kate
(Who *is* taking pictures of Caspian to update her blog...) :+)

AmyV said...

Sounds like this was a great week for you all.

I'm dealing with the preschooler issues as well. Wow, is that tough. It's so hard to keep the little one occupied and satisfied while helping the others. We'll eventually figure out something that works.

Did you like the Critical Thinking books? I was going to buy those at a homeschool convention, but I didn't. I keep getting flashbacks about them and keep having reverse buyers remorse.

Amy
www.outdooracademy.blogspot.com

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.