Thursday, August 23, 2007

Surgery on the Schedule

Yes, surgery. And not being performed by me. Today, I took Ginger (12yo dd) to her pediatric eye surgeon for her biannual visit. She has worn glasses since she was 3, did vision therapy four years, and had eye surgery at age 7.

Amazingly, she has stayed steady since the surgery with her eyes aligned -- and she could finally read to learn instead of focusing on the words! With glasses, her vision is about 20/60. In the last few months, though, I've notice her left eye beginning to stray out. Before it turned in (she had almost no vision in left eye at age 3).
So, surgery it is. The surgeon is confident that because she's used the eyes together for so many years that she can and will continue to use the eye...it just needs to be put back into place, as it is returning to its old lazy habits. I am wondering if there is more going on in her brain then just a break down of vision. Lately, she has had a very hard time answering me -- as if she can't process what I am asking, or simply forgets that I asked a question as the moments go by. I mentioned this to the surgeon but he doesn't deal with such things (he doesn't even think vision therapy works, generally speaking). But I'm wondering if this is more than just a 12 yo thing...

Ginger does not want the surgery. But not only do I want her to be able to see the best she possibly can (which is nowhere near what I can see), I want her to look the best she can too! She says she doesn't care about how her eyes look -- but I think she will when she is 16 or 20 or so. Therefore, surgery is on the schedule...except I haven't looked at my schedule yet! I don't want to either. Next week is our last week of the first quarter, then we're taking a week off...then I'll look at the schedule, then I'll think about all the ideals that seem to missing in our days.

I've seen some darling bunny rabbit pictures lately on blogs like Take a Hike and Mini Blessings and I wanted to draw a rabbit for this post! But couldn't find a single cute rabbit picture in this house to draw! So here is one that Ginger made over the summer in a art class she took. It is in graphite watercolor pencil (or something like that!) on canvas. Actually it seems fitting that the drawing in this post be hers! You can see some more of her artwork at Ginger's Art Gallery.

8 comments:

Sea Star said...

I am sorry to hear your daughter needs Surgery. It is never fun to have a child that needs "work" done. Sophie is going in for Ear Tubes next week. This is her 4th surgery. (She was born with a cleft lip and pallate) This one is very minor but should help her hear better. We face more "work" for her in the near future.

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

About the thinking process, I think it would be wise to check it out just to be safe. It is probably nothing, but better to have checked than find out later on that something was happening.

Surgery stinks no matter what age, eh.
amanda

Jenny said...

Best of luck with the surgery. I hope it resolves everything quickly and simply.

Karen said...

Eye surgery doesn't sound like fun. Ginger's art is beautiful.

Lisa~ said...

Sorry to hear of the surgery.... I pray her recovery time is fast!

I love the bunny picture.... I see that apples don’t fall far from trees.... she is a wonderful artist... just like mom.

Hope you had a good week! Mine was crazy.... a busy one.. not bad.

LisaWA

Christy said...

I hope your dd's surgery goes well. It's amazing what doctors are able to do nowadays.

The bunny picture is very cute.

Margie said...

I love you art work. I can understand how you might have to make yourself do it. We as homeschooling mothers always have to make ourselves do things for us. It is so pleasing for me to look it. I come here to see it. It relaxes me.
I am sorry your daughter has to have surgery. It is difficult to face any medical intervention. I hope you will keep me informed so we can pray.

AmyV said...

I hope all works out well with your dd. Wow is she talented!!!

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.