Monday, February 25, 2008

Got Chemistry?

We're using The Elements: Ingredients of the Universe by Ellen McHenry and loving it! This is a one semester course designed for grades 4-8, but my 2nd grader is tagging along with ease.
As a read aloud, we have The Chemy Called Al by Wendy Isdell. Not especially well written, this book does have an interesting premise: the Land of Science is inhabited by the "former periodics" such as Aurum (Gold) and Kalium (Potassium) in the form of horses.
Here are some websites we've come across:
Chem 4 Kids
Periodic Table in Pictures & Words
Interactive Chemical Elements
The Wooden Periodic Table
Period Table of Comic Books
Wizzy Periodic Table
Fun Brain Period Table
Science is Fun
Periodic Table ADventure
Visual Interpretation of the Elements

I'm going to try to post a little about each of our curriculum choices this year. This will serve as both records for myself (I'm a terrible record keeper!) and as a mini-reviews. I need a review-system. How about paw prints?
The Elements: Ingredients of the Universe gets 5 out of 5 paw prints! I just need a little picture now...

3 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Nice! I like the periodic tables.... fun, fun, fun...

I like the score system... paws are perfect!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you discuss McHenry's as I just discovered the site myself! (Probably through you!)

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing more about this. I saw it on your plan and wondered what it was. Now, I need to save this so that I can find it when we do chemistry.

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.