Monday, June 2, 2008

Chocolate Deluxe Zucchini Cake

On Friday, we harvest a lot of zucchini from the little organic garden we've been volunteering at lately. Every meal (save breakfasts) has included zucchini -- and I haven't served the same thing twice yet! The favorite so far has been the Chocolate Deluxe Zucchini Cake that my 8yo ds found. I told him to find a recipe for zucchini bread and this is what he came up with!

Chocolate Deluxe Zucchini Cake

9 TBSP unsweetened cocoa
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
4 eggs
3 cups sugar
3 TBSP melted butter
1 1/2 cups cooking oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups grated zucchini

In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar. Add, oil, melted butter and vanilla. Mix.
Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt & cinnamon into the wet ingredients. Mix.
Squeeze moisture from zucchini. Add zucchini to batter and mix well.
Pour into 2 greased round 9" pans or a greased 10" tube pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cake will be moist. Let stand 20 minutes before removing from pans.
Frost when cool if desired!

We frosted it with chocolate frosting. It turned out moist, rich and chocolaty, way better then a box mix! And there was no trace of zucchini in color, texture or taste. I'm not sure why it disappeared completely, perhaps because of the cocoa.

Now, I must go find a new zucchini recipe to serve tonight! Any suggestions?

3 comments:

G said...

Okay, we have GOT to try that recipe! I'll look through my recipe file later tonight (maybe tomorrow) and let you know if I come up with anything.

I hope it's okay - I added your blog to my favorite blog links (on my blog)....

G, from the WTM boards....

Lisa~ said...

Lee... this sounds good! We will have to give it a go!

You sound like the perfect chef! No meal twice...

hfuuzfx


Lisa

my5wolfcubs said...

Hope you enjoy the cake! And I don't mind being added to anyone's favorite list...I only wish I posted more often to make it worthwhile! :)
Lee

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.