Tuesday, January 29, 2008

How many miles do you drive a month?

I had a brilliant math idea! It is possible that in my case, the pronoun "I" with brilliant and math should not occur in the same sentence. But this seems like a fun, real-life application of subtraction!

My almost 8yo son, whom I call by his Latin name Tullius here, loves to "check the milage" on our mini van whenever we arrive someplace. At the end of each month, I'm going to have him write the number down on a piece of paper and then he can subtract to see how much we've driven that month! I really don't think I drive too much. We've had the van about 10 1/2 years and haven't reached 70,000 miles yet.

So, how much do you drive a month? No calculators allowed!

5 comments:

Lisa~ said...

ah... this could get scary! *Ü* We will start Feb 1. We will let you know!

Lisa~

Tina Puntigam said...

Another great math skill with cars is figuring out the Miles per Gallon when you fill up. I think that it became a habit for me when my first car didn't have a working gas gauge, so I'd have to know when to fill up based on the miles driven and an average MPG. Hope you all have fun!

Tina in WA said...

I agree with Lisa... But then again, my teenager is out of the house, therefore, my driving mileage has gone way down. :o)

I am scared to see Lisa's results. :o)

Hum... I might try this too starting Feb 1.

~Tina

Jackie in AR said...

The past three years I've put about 15,000 miles/year on our van, so, um, a little over a thousand per month. Wow, that sounds like a lot when you think about it that way. The majority of that is just around town here where we live.

Daisy said...

Excellent idea! Thanks.

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.