Friday, October 12, 2007

Week 13 Report -- Back-to-School

Last week was Back-to-School after a week off for Ginger's surgery/recovery. She still couldn't read on Monday, so I did all our TOG reading aloud -- Black Ships Before Troy, Story of the Greeks, Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, D'Alaure's Greek Myths, Spend the Day in Ancient Greece, and Classical Kids. By Wednesday she was wearing her glasses and reading Black Ships Before Troy on her own. I'm glad. Somehow I expected the book to be...happier. But no, not those Greeks and their gods!

By Wednesday, Ginger was able to do her own math -- nothing like attempting to describe a decimal addition problem orally! She is on Book 2 of Key to Decimals. Momo & Tullius continue through MUS Zeta and Gamma respectively. Zamakee continues to be left out. Although he now able to count/recognize/read numbers in the 20's and 30's. This is though no effort on my part, I'm still trying to remember to do the 1-5 pages in his Kumon Numbers book!

We are almost done with God's Design Science Plants! The kids are now reading and narrating the lessons to me. No one wanted to wait for me to do "class." I don't think I'll use the GDS Chemistry books in the spring. Now I'm thinking perhaps Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry would be a better choice. But maybe not...they like reading about science better then they like doing it with me, apparently.

Let's see, anything else of note last week? In Latin we skipped the history readings in Lively Latin -- I decided that we'd just save the "How the Roman Government Works" for when we study the Romans in the spring. My own Latin, using Latin Made Simple continues to go well, although I really need to make myself some flash cards. Its just there are so many words! Which is why I need the flash cards in the first place.

We did several projects -- Ginger made a dolphin Minoan Fresco, Tullius and Zamakee made Greek Stone Pendants and everyone made an Athena clay owl. Even me! I just couldn't keep my hands off the kids clay, so I did one of my own. Speaking of owls, Zamakee recognized that OWL and LOW have the same letters, just in a different order. Hooray! Oh, and he made up some sentences (pictured above), I dictated them to him one letter at a time and he wrote them down. That was during our poetry study of similes, another thing I'd already forgotten about already.

I really must write weekly reports the week they occur, not half way through the follow week! Oh, one last thing -- on Friday we went to a local dairy farm that has an open house/fair every fall. There was lots to see and do, including camel & pony rides and darling baby alpacas. I think I want this one!

13 comments:

LH said...

Good week!
Nice outing!

It can be hard to reflect back on past days to Weekly Report! I found that out the hard way :-)

Lisa~ said...

Lee! Great to see you post!

I need to make flash cards too for my Latin Study.... Im being lazy... its a lot of cards! lol Maybe I should say Im procrastinating.... sounds better than lazy... *Ü*

Lisa~

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you back! I've missed your being around as much.

Glad Ginger is on the mend and you are all getting into the swing of it again.

Melissa

Barb said...

I am glad to hear Ginger is doing better. I loved the artwork in the entry too.

Cute little camel. Glad you shared your week.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Betsy said...

Beautiful art work!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Answers to a few questions: The birds are enjoying the feeder. So far, we have only seen sparrows. I never used MFW K, but I have heard nothing but good reports about it. My dd is enjoying 1st grade and I am very happy with it.

Robin M said...

Hi Lee,

Happy to hear Ginger is doing better. Your week looks great.

And yes, it is easier to write the weekly report the week the work occurs or it all goes poof! I know from experience. LOL!

Yes, I am still taking a break from the wtm boards. I was thinking of doing it for a while, then when the "fuss" occurred, used it as the excuse I needed to give myself that kick in the pants to do it.

Have a great weekend!

Robin

Margie said...

Lee, You are my hero. I do not see how you get so much done! Thanks for all the comments. You are correct about the system and method. There was supposed to be follow up to that post, but we got sick. It is based on Charlotte Mason teachings. I was going to post series, but did not. I will come back to it. Thank you so much for all your comments. They are so encouraging. Your family story about the bees was fascinating. You would have really enjoyed the field trip. It is at a farm near our house and it is family operated. The neat thing is they do not do that for the public or for other schools.
Margie

Anonymous said...

Hey there Fifi Caravan! lol


Ok, my hair 'how to'.

First pull all hair up into a high pony tail.

Next divide into 4 sections.

Taking each section, 1 at a time, wrap it around something (think curling iron, but use something small if your hair is ONLY shoulder length...I used a small toothpaste tube). After wrapping/rolling, carefully slide your 'tool' out, hold that hair! Use bobby pins to hold it here.

Do that for each section, rolling in different directions.

Make sense?

Anonymous said...

Hey, it looks like you had a great week back. Glad to hear Ginger is doing well and your school looks fabulous. The alpaca is cute too!

Sea Star said...

It looks like you had a busy week. That dolphin Fresco is really lovely. How do you do frescos. I know it is wet plaster and paint. But do you have a method, materials etc that you use. I had actually thought this sounded fun since we are learning about Michelango this month and his paintings are frescos.

Sea Star said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina in WA said...

I LOVE that little camel! So cute!!

The dolphin picture looks really nice. I would love to do something like that with my kids.

~Tina

Tina in WA said...

Just realized that might not be a camel in the picture... It could be the alpacas...

I am so glad you can't see how red I am with embarrassment.

But I still think it is so darn cute!

~Tina who is heading off to bed now...

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.