Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Poem for the Spring: God Help the Boy

My 8 year old is reading to me from The Christian Liberty Nature Reader Book 1. He reads aloud a section, I narrate. My narrations are getting better -- I no longer say "um, and, um, and..." quite so much. And I'm appreciating insects a wee bit more.

This evening I flipped through the book and came across a poem in the back entitled "The Boy the Never Sees" listed as Author Unknown. I did a Google Book Search and found the poem in a book called Public School Methods, orginially published in 1918 with the title as "God Help the Boy" by Nixon Waterman.

Enjoy!

GOD HELP THE BOY

God help the boy who never sees
The butterflies, the birds, the bees,
Nor hears the music of the breeze
When zephyrs soft are blowing.

Who can not in sweet comfort lie
Where clover blooms are thick and high,
And hear the gentle murmur nigh
Of brooklets softly flowing.

God help the boy who does not know
Where all the woodland berries grow,
Who never sees the forests glow
When leaves are red and yellow.

Whose childish feet can never stray
When nature does her charms display--
For such a hapless boy, I say
God help the little fellow.

Nixon Waterman.


I really need a message board/blog break (not that I've been posting or commenting much lately, but I need an actual, physical break). Leave a comment if you like and I'll come visit you in a month or so!

11 comments:

Tina in WA said...

Have a wonderful refreshing break! And a blessed Easter. :o)

~Tina

Mom2legomaniacs said...

Have a lovely break! I have missed you dear!
melissa

Jackie in AR said...

Lee,

He is risen indeed!!

Thanks for stopping by. As you could tell, I've been on a little break myself.

I love the poem. It is just beautiful.

Have a blessed Easter!

Jackie

Brittney said...

Lee,
I know what you mean about needing a break! I am thinking about taking one from the boards...especailly after reading momto7's goodbye post.

I hope you have a great break and come back to us refreshed!

Warm wishes and hugs to you!
Brittney

Nora said...

Have a relaxing break, Lee. I love that poem - it fits right in with all the nature study we've been talking about lately, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Lee, I hope all is well and I can completely relate to what you mean about needing a physical board/blog break. I think I need one too. In fact, I'm rethinking the whole blog/forum/online thing in general. It's far too time consuming and I have so many other things I should/could be doing. All the best!
Stacy :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem. Great nature study!
Blessings,
Karen aka Testimony on WTM boards
www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful poem! Thank you for sharing it - Blessings, Dee @ boysrus www.homeschoolblogger.com/boysrus

Anonymous said...

Hope you're having an wonderful blog/board break. Yes it can be a HUGE timesuck so maybe after a break you can come back and not get pulled back to the dark side. :) I miss your voice on the boards!

Lisa~ said...

Good mornining sunshine! I miss hearing from you... *Ü* Whats shaken??

Lisa~

Brittney said...

Lee,

I hope you are having a wonderful board break. Been missing you lately and just wanted to drop you a line. I hope all is well with you and hope to be hearing/seeing more of you soon!

Brittney

PS The graduate school decision has been made and we are moving to Northern CA!

Latin Motto

Non scholae sed vitae discimus ~ Seneca. We learn not for school, but for life.